Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Thekitchn.com starts a Little Gems Movement

Dana Velden over at thekitchn.com sister site to the popular apartment therapy website, recently wrote a lovely review of little gems with a call to action for all little gems fans. Keep asking for it! I have a dream that one day ill be able to walk to my local grocery store and find it smiling there at me on the shelf! :)

"Little Gems are a bit hard to find in the grocery store but I’ve had great luck at farmer’s markets. And we all know that if you keep asking for something, eventually someone will catch on and make it available. Trust me, Little Gems lettuce is worth nagging for.

Little Gems look like tiny versions of Romaine lettuce, with a crisp, crunchy texture and a sweet flavor. My favorite way to serve them couldn't be easier: simply cut in half and drizzled with a nice lemon-shallot vinaigrette. Occasionally, I'll sprinkle on some thinly sliced radish or a few capers, but mostly I let them shine straight up. Guests really enjoyed the knife-and-fork experience of being served a whole lettuce and when I could find them in the market, I always bought a few. But this week I tried something new." - Dana Velden

 (http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/vegetable/good-eats-little-gems-lettuce-054871)


Little Gem Lettuce on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment